Jets' GM on Jamal Adams Deal: 'Offer Too Good to Pass Up'

Lou DiPietro
July 28, 2020 - 4:24 pm
Categories: 

Jamal Adams never had a shortage of things to say leading up to his divorce with the New York Jets over the weekend – and still had even more to say after that, too – and sports talk hosts of all media have chimed in since with their takes and reactions.

The last one on the train was perhaps the most important, though: Jets general manager Joe Douglas, who confirmed in a conference call Monday that Seattle’s offer of two first-round picks, a 2021 third-rounder, a 2022 fourth-rounder, and veteran safety Bradley McDougald was “too good to pass up.”

Listen Live Now on WFAN Sports Radio 101.9FM 66AM

“It really was our plan to keep Jamal here,” Douglas said on Monday’s call. “But when our conversations started with Seattle several weeks ago, the focus became clear that this was a great opportunity for us and the franchise. We received an offer that was too good to pass up and we decided to move forward with that decision.”

With the Jets slated to report to camp this week, Douglas had planned to meet with Adams to try to see if they could hash out their issues, and make good (for now at least) on his mantra to make Adams a “Jet for life.” Unfortunately, life had other plans, and Adams was incredibly antsy to not even spend any of the next two seasons with Gang Green, let alone the rest of his career – even going so far as to publicly criticize head coach Adam Gase and his philosophies.

Douglas noted he understood that feeling, but the expression of it may have been the final straw – he gave Coach Gase a vote of confidence in the call – and when Seattle offered the right assets, it was time for Adams to go.

And, Douglas noted, there was never any promise to Adams of the long-term extension the safety apparently was seeking if the Jets chose to keep him – an extension that so far, Adams hasn’t made noise about to Seattle brass.

“I never promised an offer to Jamal or his agent, nor was I ever dishonest or ambiguous in any communications with their camp. And we went through a lot of different scenarios,” Douglas said. “Since the current CBA for rookies’ payment came in in 2011, there’s only been three defensive players that received extensions this early: Luke Kuechly, J.J. Watt, and Myles Garrett. With where we were with the uncertainty at the time of not knowing what the full economic picture was going to look like, we just weren’t in position to do anything immediately when it came to the contract extension.”

And so, Gang Green will get 2020 started without their now-former franchise defender, but Douglas is optimistic for what lies ahead in the face of a season that could be anything but regular.

“I believe in Coach Gase and his staff, and my message to the team and the fan base is that we are trying to build this the right way. I think this deal helps us do that,” Douglas said. “We’re working to build a foundation of great players and great people. We have a group of guys that have a lot of drive and hunger to prove that the finish of last year was not a fluke. If we can capture that momentum and push it into 2020, there’s a lot of exciting things that can happen.”

Follow Lou DiPietro on Twitter: @LouDiPietroWFAN

Follow WFAN on Social Media
Twitter  |  Facebook  |  Instagram  |  YouTube  |  Twitch