Mickey Callaway On Mets' Playoff Hopes: 'Anything Is Possible'

LISTEN: Mets Manager Joined Mike Francesa

Mike's On
July 24, 2019 - 4:22 pm
Categories: 

With the Mets eight games under .500, this team needs to start winning multiple games in a row and going on a run if they want to be taken seriously in the playoff picture. 

Mets manager Mickey Callaway joined WFAN's Mike Francesa Wednesday to discuss the team's final two-plus months. 

"For us to get this done, baseball seasons are all about winning streaks in my opinion," Callaway told Francesa on WFAN. "There's very few teams every year that just go win six out of 10 games every 10 days and just continue to roll. It's streaky. You're going to play .500 ball for 80% of the year and the other 20% is going to be streaks. That's what's going to put you above .500. We definitely need to make a couple of runs here where we win, six, seven, eight in a row and other than that, play .500 ball." 

Related: Report: Astros, Padres, Brewers, Yankees Interested In Noah Syndergaard

The players apparently still believe.

"I've seen them talk as a group openly and they think we can do this thing. That's what all our efforts are going to be towards." 

The Mets are seven games back of the second NL Wild Card spot. 

"Anything's possible. That's what we are using as our motivation. We don't want to lose any of our players. We're gonna play for that. 

Edwin Diaz has been up and down with more downs than ups in the past couple of months. Diaz has been a bit better the past couple of weeks, not getting charged with an earned run. 

"He's inching closer. He's getting better," Callaway said. "He's getting most of his pitches where he wants to. Like last night he made some really good pitches and then he makes one bad pitch and they whack a double in the gap. He's inching closer. Once he gets that fastball down and away, up and in and gets that breaking ball underneath the zone and stays out of the heart of the plate, you're going to see that guy again." 

The bullpen has a whole has done a nice job the last two weeks and that could end up determining wins and losses for this team. 

"We have shown it since the All-Star break," said Callaway. "We have performed tremendously, especially the main guys. I think we can get this done if our starters continue to be dominant like they are." 

You can hear the entire interview with the Mets manager in the audio player above.