'Boomer And Gio': Giants' 1st-Round Pick Will Be 'Fascinating'

'The Opinions Are All Over The Place'

Boomer and Gio
April 01, 2020 - 9:34 am

It's going to be "fascinating" to see what the Giants decide to do with the fourth overall pick in this month's draft, WFAN's Boomer Esiason said Wednesday.

"I saw a mock draft where people are saying the Giants should take a wide receiver for Daniel Jones," Esiason said at the start of the "Boomer and Gio" show. "It's all over the place. The opinions are all over the place for the Giants.

"Speaking to my Giant fan friends, which I do spend a lot of time asking because they are so passionate about the draft, they're so passionate about their team ... I would say about 60% of my Giant fan friends want an offensive tackle. The other 40% want a defensive edge rusher. They want the kid (Isaiah) Simmons or they want the kid (Chase) Young."

Gregg Giannotti, Esiason's co-host, said the Giants "can't go wrong when you have so many holes."

"If they end up going wide receiver, if they end up going offensive tackle, if they end up going edge rusher or linebacker, I think they'll be in a great position because there's a lot of work to do on this roster," he said. 

Esiason said what Washington does with the second overall pick could be key in determining which player the Giants select.  

"If the Redskins do take Chase Young out of Ohio State, what do the Giants have to do to mitigate that?" he said. "They've got to get an offensive tackle, don't they? Because you're going to be seeing him for maybe the next 10 years. You'd like to think you have a guy that you would draft that would be able to go up against him and stop him, but then again, Giant fans also want edge-rushing linebackers. They want guys who are athletic, who are fast, who are making a difference on defense -- something that they haven't had for quite some time.

"Assuming we get to draft day and they haven't already traded out of there, their fourth pick is going to be more interesting than I think the Saquon Barkley pick," Boomer continued. "It will not be nearly as exciting as the Daniel Jones pick, but the decision-making that's going on around that pick is what, to me, makes this thing so fascinating."

Giannotti said he thinks the Giants will end up with Simmons, the speedy edge rusher from Clemson.

"And if not him, whatever the best tackle available is at that point," Gio said. "But I think that they want an influx of young, really good, controllable talent that they'll get on these rookie deals for a while on defense because defense was just such a mess for them last year."

To listen to the open of Wednesday's "Boomer and Gio" show, in which the guys further discuss the NFL draft, click on the audio player above.

Related: