Benigno On Yoenis Cespedes: Just Take The Mets To The World Series

Mets Outfielder Won't Speak To Media This Season

Joe & Evan
February 17, 2020 - 3:19 pm
Categories: 

Mets outfielder Yoenis Cespedes has been vocal regarding his comeback on social media — often posting videos and highlights on social media. Cespedes, however, won't be as talkative to the press, revealing he has no intention of speaking to reporters this season.

Listen to your team news NOW.

"Not today, not tomorrow, not at all this year," Cespedes said, according to multiple reporters

Cespedes later took batting practice and hit a few home runs while the Mets held their first full-squad workout, which drew praise from manager Luis Rojas. WFAN's Joe Benigno expects a "big year" from the Mets outfielder, who missed the 2019 season after undergoing ankle surgery. 

"The guy is playing for the money," Benigno said to begin Monday's show. "That's all that matters to him. He's playing for the money. Plus when they re-did his contract with all of the incentives he's playing for, I'm telling you big year."

Benigno isn't concerned about Cespedes' unwillingness to speak to reporters at all this season. 

"I don't care if he doesn't talk to the media," Benigno said. "Go play. As long as he plays, go out there, get my team a big year, I don't care if you talk to anybody. I don't care. You don't talk to the wild boars. You don't talk to the camels. I don't care who you don't talk to. Go out there and get my team a big freaking year. That's all that matters to me about Yoenis Cespedes. He's not going to be on the team next season. We know that. This is it. It's his last year here no matter what. Go out and take my team to a World Series."

Cespedes has rarely spoken to the media nevertheless addressed the wild boar incident or salary cut situation. The New York Post revealed the details regarding the injury that forced Cespedes to miss last season. In December, Eduardo Perez spoke on behalf of Cespedes regarding the outfielder's expectations in 2020. 

John Jastremski, filling in for Evan Roberts, wasn't on the same page as his co-host.

"When you have not played baseball for a year and a half, regardless of the language barrier, if I'm a Mets fan I'm ticked off," Jastremski said. "Yoenis is back, first time in spring training and (he's) not talking to the media? Come on!"

The Mets' Yoenis Cespedes (52) hits a single against the New York Yankees on July 20, 2018, at Yankee Stadium.
USA TODAY Images

In 2016, Cespedes tallied 86 RBIs and 31 home runs and batted .280 — his lone All-Star season in New York. Jastremski believes Cespedes could be a "difference-maker" but warned Benigno that the 34-year-old isn't the same guy he once was. 

Cespedes is set to become an unrestricted free agent after this season. The impending return of Cespedes prompted Jastremski to ask Benigno if he considers 2020 to be "playoff or bust?"

"They've got to make the playoffs," Benigno said. "They won 86 (games) last year. They got off to a bad start. There's no excuse. They've got a very good lineup. I don't expect (Pete) Alonso to hit 53 home runs again, but if he gives me 40 (home runs) and 100 (RBI) — with Alonso, (Jeff) McNeil, (Michael) Conforto, (Amed) Rosario, (Wilson) Ramos behind the plate ... I think this team has a chance to be a real good team."

Related: